Sunday, October 11, 2009

Music Blogs Ruined My Life

I intended to follow a real blog last week, one that talks about politics or parenting or something. I never got around to finding one, though, so I guess I'll write about the blogs I actually do visit daily, which are ones that post old music. The thing I've discovered about the web is, whatever your interest is, no matter how peculiar, there are people out there who share it, and they are often people who are much more enthusiastic than you. My interest is music made between 1966 and 1974, particularly psychedelia and proto-metal. Since I'd rather not hear anything I've ever heard before, I'm constantly looking for new stuff. I crave it, actually--sometimes I download 2 or 3 albums a day. A lot of them aren't that great, but you never know when you'll find something to get really excited about. I visit 2 blogs with regularity, though there are 5 or 6 that I go to at least a few times a week. The one I always start at is called Drop Out Boogie(http://dropoutrecords.blogspot.com). This blog is the most consistent in terms of posting stuff I find interesting, though the blogger tends to repost things with some regularity, which isn't always a bad thing. This guy also posts a lot of information about the bands--too much, actually, but since I haven't heard of a lot of these people,the information is generally welcome. He also always includes all the album art, useful if you want to make them into cds. He puts up new music every day; in addition to the rock, he also posts a fair amount of mid-60s blues. This blog has actually gone through a number of versions--for a long time it was called "Chrisgoesrock" and later "HuddingesHill". Every few months, Blogger shuts him down, most likely for copyright complaints, but he's always up and running again in a few days.
The other blog I'm liking right now is called "Space2saviour"
(http://modadelic.blogspot.com) This guy posts a lot of the same stuff as Drop Out Boogie, but he also posts a lot of punky things and some contemporary music as well. Generally, his selections have a harder, more underground edge. All the records are accompanied by descriptions written in a strange, sort of old beatnik kind of voice which can be kind of irritating but which sets a not-inappropriate mood, once you get used to it. This blogger posts almost every day; the only thing I really don't like about him is that he doesn't indicate the year the album came out.
There are a bunch of other blogs I check a lot and if I really want to waste time, all of the blogs have links to other blogs. I surf for music more than I'd like to admit--working at home by yourself all day is far more difficult if you're prone to procrastination. I wish this activity was good for my business or helped with work I actually have to do; I wish the people I live with liked this music or at least didn't always complain when I play it in the kitchen or the car.
But it is my fate to live at the mercy of my compulsions, when it's all said and done, I suppose it could be worse.

2 comments:

  1. THANK YOU! I checked out the first blog and already nabbed the Jeff Beck and the SRV CDs. Two thumbs up. I will definitely look for blues, I love this music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, good links- Thanks Terry!

    ReplyDelete