Monday, October 19, 2009

Gaming and Social Networks

I read an article on CNET news about the plans Microsoft's Xbox to gain Facebook, Twitter, and Last.fm applications on their interface. While this is not an entirely surprising development, I think it illustrates a growing recognition by organizations that they cannot ignore the rapid rise of social netoworking, lest they fall by the wayside. There are criticisms that might be made of the interfaces and interactions, but the more important point, I think, is the fact that they are now available. Microsoft has, historically speaking, always been resistant to opening up; there is perhaps more proprietary BS associated with Microsoft products that with any other computer company. The Xbox has had the MSMessenger service attached to it, but since I have never used that service, I never used messaging on the Xbox. It always irritated me that, if I wanted to accumulate gaming friends, I had to use their service. Granted I do not play that many video games anymore, but perhaps I would have if I had more contacts on the Xbox itself. With Facebook and Twitter coming to the console, it seems like Microsoft has caved a little, and surely for their own good. These networks can now be tied in with a user's gaming experience, making gaming buddies, planning games, and maintaining scores perhaps. I predict that this move will be big for the Xbox (as if they are not doing well enough already), expanding their gamer base by tapping into untapped resources. There might be people out there on Facebook who never thought of gaming; now that they have a direct connection to their friends' gaming experiences' they will be much more likely to go out and buy an Xbox.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27076_3-10375398-248.html

No comments:

Post a Comment