Monday, October 12, 2009

bOING bIONG

One blog that I've enjoyed reading for many years is bOING bIONG. It was one of the first blogs i subscribed to when I started using an RSS readers. It is hard to describe exactly what BB is about. Wikipeadia describes the magazine that BB evolved into as "Boing Boing was an influence in the development of the cyberpunk subculture. Common themes include technology, futurism, science fiction, gadgets, intellectual property, Disney and left-wing politics." The editors post more than once a day. The reason that my Google Reader says that I have 615 unread posts is because the fact that they post so often. I became a little overwhelmed because I couldn't keep up.

I have enjoyed following BB over the last week. Most of their posts are light hearted, dealing with the strange, geeky or silly. Where else would you learn about Photos of uncomfortable chairs, Tone Balls -- dust bunnies that collect in guitar bodies, The woman who can't stop orgasming
or Invasion of the giant blobs of "sea mucus"? But there are also more politically or socially informative post dealing with technology or internet culture that you might not find anywhere else. Some recent ones include My generation: How Indie Game Makers are Embracing Controlled Chaos or Big Entertainment's century-long technophobic binge.

They do a good job of providing quirky, interesting material mixed with cultural critiques and news and information from technology and other up and coming topics. I think they describe them selves best by saying "Boing Boing: A directory of wonderful things"

No comments:

Post a Comment