Saturday, October 10, 2009

David Dillon Photography


My general interests lately, slightly outside the realm of web and digital design, have been geared towards photography. I have just recently been setting up a minor in photography for myself here at Phila U, and also just purchased a Canon DSLR. Naturally, I am inclined to know the nature of my new camera in and out, reading up on the manuals, bodies, lenses, shooting modes, lighting, etc.

I want to start off by saying I am currently not an avid follower of any particular blog. In doing the research for this class, I feel constantly looking at a photography blog would be excellent for my current interests. I stumbled across a guy named David Dillon, who is a self-taught, but professional photographer.

Every day (just about) David posts a new picture, usually with a blurb underneath telling a little bit about the photo's location or intent. In David's about me section he refers to himself as a self-taught photographer that has been taking pictures for about five years. He has gotten into photography due to his general interest in the area, and has made not just a hobby and stress-reliever out of it, but a career as well. He also lists every camera body, lens, printer, scanner, and accessory he uses for his work.

As a spotlight photographer from the popular photoblog vfxy, David's blog is perfect for someone like me who wants to understand what I am doing with such an intimidating camera in hand, but also to appreciate the art and angles in photography. An extremely useful bit of information that I have noticed that David adds to his blog is a "picture information" section listed under every single picture in the blog. This is extremely helpful to me, considering it lists specs such as shutter speed, focal length, camera used, iso, and more. These facts are hard to understand currently, considering I have really used my camera twice so far. But I am already starting to understand all these specifics that mean a huge deal in the world of photography. I hope by following a blog of such caliber, it will allow me to more fully understand how to take amazing photography of my own.


No comments:

Post a Comment