Monday, September 7, 2009

Turntables, Vinyl, & Tubes

I related the reading "Being Analog" to a familiar world to me - Music. As an active music enthusiast- my friends and I are always seeking out vintage instruments, tube amps, analog recordings, and analog circuitry. When we get together to play or listen to a particular recording I feel that the older, analog pieces always sounder better to me. The music is always so much warmer and the imperfections that happen through an analog recording create a mood that is difficult to replicate with digital sound. For example, the crackling of an old record before the music begins or when you hear music played live all the noises that the instruments make from people moving around behind them, even the glow the tubes give off when they are warm and at full capacity. To me, this all adds to the overall feel and experience. Digital recordings try and recreate all of this but do not always do such a good job. Humans are analog beings. The world we live in is both analog and digital, mostly digital.

It was interesting that Don Norman stated the difference between analog and digital and the conceptions that digital is superior to analog. I'm in agreement that digital often makes a lot of sense, especially with the machines and devices we use. As a designer, I rely on technology to make a living. If it weren't for the internet and computers my daily work would be at a much slower pace. It would take me a day or two to hand draw an environment/product precisely and only takes me a few hours with the software I use. Digital vs analog is a matter of opinion and there are pro's and con's on both sides of the fence. I think having the understanding and knowledge of when to use what means of communication is the important component of the debate.

As designers we are communicators. The importance of understanding technology and electronic communications is a huge part of what we do and what we should be experts at. Almost all communication in our world is done via digital media (email, websites, blogs, digital images, etc). We need to be able to manipulate this medium and use it in ways to communicate our ideas in an aesthetically pleasing manner. As designers we should also have an understanding of the analogous means of communication (sketching, writing, speaking). In my experience, some clients respond better to sketches of an environment then to computer renderings. Mainly because computer renderings are rigid and look like they can not be changed. Hand sketches are more free flowing and approachable, allowing people to comment and make suggestions with greater ease. "The world is not neat and tidy."

No comments:

Post a Comment