Monday, November 16, 2009

Video games as a learning tool

A while ago I saw this commercial on TV. Here is the description: "Get up. Get smart. Get going! With the Fisher-Price Smart Cycle, kids pedal, steer and control the on-screen action! Smart Cycle is a stationary bike, a preschool learning center and an arcade game system all rolled into one! Smart Cycle plugs right into your TV, ready for discoveries, games and active play. Bring the arcade experience home, with multiple levels of play for different ages and stages. Kids can pedal through Alphabet Valley to learn numbers or charge up Math Mountain to learn numbers. Smart Cycle also lets kids race against the clock or with another player." This game is appropriate for kids ages 3-7.

I thought to myself, wow, they're starting them off young! The first video game I had was Super Nintendo given to me by my sister's boyfriend. I played Street Fighter a few times and then lost interest. I must have been around 12 years old. I'm not huge into video games. I did get a Wii last year though and play it occasionally. I have mixed feelings when it comes to video games and kids. I don't like the idea of having a kid sitting in front of the tv for hours playing video games. On the other hand I recognize the learning development some video games can provide. I agree with the author of the article that games can teach a person how to adapt. They help to develop cognition and problem solving skills.

It looks like video games will be more integrated in our daily lives. With cell phones now acting as mobile games with internet connection it seems even more possible. I just hope that as new technology is being released and the way we learn and work becomes more computer based we will not forget to balance our lives with a few ours outside. Perhaps even gather some friends and go play a game of kickball or something.

Slightly off my topic. I found this to be funny. Maybe you will too.
Ultra-Realistic Modern Warfare

No comments:

Post a Comment