Monday, November 16, 2009

Aparently im a 2.0

Reading this article was a pretty interesting experience being that I knew I was going to fit into whatever stereotypes were addressed and I wanted to see how we are perceived. Much of my life has revolved around gaming. I got into computer games at a real young age, playing wolfenstein3d and other primitive games on one of our early Macintoshs. I later got into multi-player online games, and even more so competitively. I joined a group of people who went from game to game, playing in online tournaments from counter-strike, medal of honor, call of duty, battlefield 1942 and rainbow six. The interesting thing about all this though was the people I played with.

Most of the people in my group were much older then me, most with families and jobs. People were looking for a way to relax, and because of that the group was structured and built in a way to avoid the dreaded "online argument" and away from drama. Unfortunately this environment only lasted so long. I eventually got into playing World of Warcraft, which destroyed any hope left of peoples mentality and maturity. People fought over the most mundane things, I often almost felt more stupid after reading the arguments i saw in chat.

i'm sort of ranting in a way, but there is a point to me talking about this. The article addresses that there is this need for a rapid and efficient way to transfer knowledge from the baby boomer generation to the gamer generation. What I have gained from my own experiences was much more then I could have ever asked for. The people I played with in my early years were part of the baby-boomers, and from various backgrounds. Engineers, designers, stay-at-home parents, and even a rocket scientist. I learned a great deal of having interests in multiple fields, multiple subjects and even pulled out some management, leadership and strategy as crazy as it may seem.

Video games have definitely influenced recent generations and had a negative impact on the mentality of people. With the rise in online games, people find that because they are in a virtual world being represented by an avatar that they can be someone different then in real life. Unfortunately this is starting to bleed out of just the gaming world and into society which can create a big threat for the future workplace.

No comments:

Post a Comment